Options

SQL Compare aborts - Could not find a part of the path

SandraVSandraV Posts: 4 Bronze 2
edited July 16, 2014 11:51AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
SQL Compare is aborting during the check for source drift step with the error Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\srk2fozc.m0j', where username is my username and the actual file refernced changes each time I restart SQL Compare.

Two unique things about this DB are that it's under source control (while all others I've run agains are not) and it uses encryption. I successfully run SQL Compare between other DBs on these two servers.

I upgraded to 10.7 to no avail. The Rev. # for each DB is identical.

Comments

• Options
    SandraVSandraV Posts: 4 Bronze 2
    A found a solution, though not a great solution.

I backed up/restored the source DB to create a copy of the source, ran sp_dropextendedproperty for SQLSourceControl Database Revision, SQLSourceControl Scripts Location, and SQLSourceControl Scripts Location on the copy, and was able to get SQL Compare to work against the copy and my production DB.
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Thanks - the only other solution I could find is to use the Ignore migration scripts for databases option, which is doing the same thing, in a roundabout way.

Checking for source drift is a step that is trying to ensure there are no more changes that need to be synchronized from source control.

I do not have a root cause for the message but it is something to do with migration scripts - I suspect maybe the migration scripts location may be missing or invalid.
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    A few weeks back I found, completely by accident, you will get "could not find part of path" errors if you specify a revision that does not exist in the /version1 and/or /version2 arguments to the command-line version of SQL Compare. There is a bug logged for that to display a sensible message. As it is, the problem is about incorrect parameters being passed in rather than faulty code in the program.