Options

SQL Prompt 6.4 beta (Now closed)

13»

Comments

• Options
    Aaron Law wrote:
    Hi theit8514,

Thanks for letting us know about this.
    Unfortunately we're not able to recreate this locally at the moment so to help us in recreating it I wanted to check which version of windows you're running and also which .Net frameworks are installed on your VM?
    Also, can you think of anything else that we might need to do to trigger it here? Maybe connecting to a specific server or running multiple instances of SSMS?

Thanks,
    Aaron.

I am using Windows 8 and NET 4.5.1, running SSMS 2012. As for the triggers, I'm not really sure. I went back and reviewed the Event Log for application crashes and noted the 3 times that the application crashed, and then reviewed the SQL Prompt log files for those time periods and that warning message appeared each time. Other than that, it only happens after I have SSMS open for a long time, then close it. I have installed the latest version and am encountering a lot of other issues since doing so (I've submitted one through the bug reporter about an INNER JOIN crash), but have not yet experienced that issue again.
  • Options
    Aaron LAaron L Posts: 596 New member
    Thanks for the extra info theit8514!

I just saw your error report and it looks like it was the same thing bug that was causing the suggestion box to display a red X in the previous build, hopefully we have this fixed in 6.4.0.583.
    I'm sorry to hear you've hit other issues too, could you provide any more details on what you've hit?

Thanks,
    Aaron.
  • Options
    Hi ephraim,

We can now recreate the semicolon in the wrong place (it looks like it only happens for certain server versions) and should get a fix out later today.
    We're investigating suggestions in VS at the moment. It's worked for us in a few of the environments we've tried so I have a feeling its version specific too, which version of VS are you using?

Thanks,
    Aaron.
  • Options
    I'm using Visual Studio 2010 Premium... Connecting to SQL 2008 database (Also doesn't work connecting to SQL 2012 database)
  • Options
    Aaron Law wrote:
    Thanks for the extra info theit8514!

I just saw your error report and it looks like it was the same thing bug that was causing the suggestion box to display a red X in the previous build, hopefully we have this fixed in 6.4.0.583.
    I'm sorry to hear you've hit other issues too, could you provide any more details on what you've hit?

Thanks,
    Aaron.

I have a long script which Prompt will not present any suggestions for Temporary tables after a certain point in the file. The script is an ALTER PROCEDURE script. I have my ParserLookBackDistance set to 30000, but it doesn't seem to be working. It recognizes that the temporary table exists, but when I try to access suggestions for the alias, nothing shows up. In addition, when I hover over the alias definition name, it shows "Unresolved alias (table)", whereas if I look at an actual table alias it shows "c (table)". Let me know if I need to submit the code for analysis.
  • Options
    ephraim, I think we might have been able to recreate it here and we're investigating a fix now, thanks for your help.

theit8514, if you could forward the script to aaron.law@red-gate.com that'd be awesome! I think there must be a bit of syntax in there that Prompt doesn't understand and it might have reset it's parse (losing the temp table) to recover.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2014 3:41PM
    Hi ephraim,
    I've got a private build for you which hopefully fixes both the suggestions in VS2010 and the semicolon on the exec statement. Let me know if this fixes it for you and we'll roll the changes into our next beta.

Thanks,
    Aaron.

Edit: Just found another case where VS2010 won't work, i'm looking into a fix now.
    Edit2: I've updated the private build link to include another fix for VS2010. Hopefully everything should be working now!
  • Options
    Thanks Aaron, got your email reply.

There is one other thing I was hoping you could look into. If you have the option set to trigger Insertions on the Dot key, the first linked server is expanded when trying to type an IP address.

IE: Two linked server, 10.1.1.100 and 10.1.2.200.

If I type "[10." the first server gets expanded automatically. In order for me to type most link server IP addresses I now have to press ESC before a dot.
  • Options
    I'm having some trouble with SQL Format fixing the case of column names.

Our c# app uses DataSets which require data coming from SQL Server to match the DataSet column names case-sensitive.

I want to reformat but I want an option to not change column names to match the SQL column name. It appears there would be room on the Format -> Styles -> Case tab.
  • Options
    Hi theit8514,
    I think I saw your request on UserVoice for this but could you explain the logic a bit more on when you'd expect us to ignore the dot as a completion key setting? Would it be only if the selected suggestion has a dot in it?

Hi Kevin,
    I'll put in a checkbox for it in our next beta release (it's currently in the layout options as <UseObjectDefinitionCase>). We were originally having difficulties coming up with scenarios where you wouldn't want the columns to match the database casing, so now we'll have a reason behind the checkbox.

Thanks for all the feedback!
    Aaron.
  • Options
    problems fixed. thanks Aaron
  • Options
    Aaron Law wrote:
    Hi theit8514,
    I think I saw your request on UserVoice for this but could you explain the logic a bit more on when you'd expect us to ignore the dot as a completion key setting? Would it be only if the selected suggestion has a dot in it?

I think that if the next character in the top suggestion is an insertion character (ie a dot in this case, but I can see a comma in the case of using a port number in a linked server), then that suggestion won't insert automatically. That would handle the case where you type 10./192./etc, but still handle wanting to autocomplete with a dot for a URL that is partially typed.
  • Options
    That makes sense - I'll see if I can get a version today and see how it feels to use in practice. Hopefully I can get it in today since we want to move onto just bug fixes for the rest of the week. I'll let you know how I get on :)
  • Options
    This fails qualify object names..

select *
    from table1 as r
    where skey in (select top 1 skey from dbo.table2)
  • Options
    Hi ephraim,
    Thanks for pointing this out. It looks like it's complaining it could be ambiguous as for the subquery you can have either "table2.skey" or "r.skey" and the query would work. Obviously in this case you meant to use the table2 one so the latest beta (6.4.0.609) should qualify with it.

Hi theit8514,
    The latest build should ignore the completion key if the next character in the current suggestion matches it. Let us know if this works for you!

Thanks,
    Aaron.
  • Options
    Aaron, I've corrected my sql to make it clearer
    select *
    from dbo.table1 as t1
    where skey in (select top 1 t2.skey from dbo.table2 as t2 )

The qualify object names command is balking at the unqualified outer query.
    In this case, the skey has to be from t1, right? So, my question is why does it balk?
    Ephraim
  • Options
    Hi Ephraim,
    I think this should be fixed in the latest build - are you still seeing the error with 6.4.0.609?
  • Options
    yes, fixed, thanks ephraim