Options

Cleanup samap files

MartinHMartinH Posts: 82 Bronze 2
edited June 10, 2014 1:56PM in SmartAssembly
I have a collection of over 3000 samap files and would like to clean some of these up, but the question is which ones?

If I have a project that I know has been updated in *all* my clients up to a specific version I would like to eliminate all samap files that a before that version, but how do I know which files these are?

Thanks,
Martin.

Comments

• Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi Martin,

Thanks for your post!

Each build that you create via SmartAssembly gets a new 'AssemblyID' added to the 'Builds' table of the SmartAssembly database. And if error reporting has been applied to the build, a map file is also created for it in the maps folder, named with its 'AssemblyID' value.

It could be a lengthy (and risky) process, but you can look through the database--if you're confident you've found the appropriate ProjectID and AssemblyID of your specific version, you can look for all the other AssemblyID values created for the same ProjectID and delete any mapfiles with the same name.

If you go ahead with this, kindly make sure to backup your map files somewhere first! If any needed map files are accidentally deleted, you may not be able to receive/read incoming error reports anymore.

(If you have any further questions on this or accessing the SmartAssembly database in general, please let me know!)

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Options
    MartinHMartinH Posts: 82 Bronze 2
    Jessica:

Thanks for the information, that help me a lot and I have managed to identify the obsolete files and manually remove them.

It might be worth including a utility to do this cleanup in a future version, as I'm sure many users could benefit from it.

Once again, thanks for your detailed help.

Martin.
  • Options
    Hi Martin,

I'm glad to hear that helped!

And many thanks for that suggestion, I'll pass it on to our development team. :)

• Options
    I have over 42000 samap files, of which I only need a couple hundred. With that amount of files, any manual search and delete won't work in any reasonable amount of time.

So please add me to the list of people who could really use such a tool!
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback, Daniel! I've gone ahead and +1'd the request (logged internally as SA-1835)