Options

Deploying to Mirrored SQL Database

andrew.harrisonandrew.harrison Posts: 5
edited June 6, 2014 9:00AM in Deployment Manager
For high availability, we are configuring our SQL 2012 databases to use Mirroring.

Does deployment manager support database mirroring? If so, how should we be configuring the servers in deployment manager?

For example is there a way of specifying the fail-over server in a single connection or do we just need to add both servers as separate targets?

Comments

• Options
    csmithcsmith Posts: 138 Bronze 1
    Hi

Deployment Manager does not currently have any special behaviour for mirrored databases.

If I understand mirroring correctly then one server instance serves the database to clients (the principal server) and the other instance acts as a hot or warm standby server (the mirror server). Therefore, I think you should still be able to set-up DM to deploy to the principle database server. The standby database server will update using the standard SQL Server synchronization (outside of DM).

So, you'd just need to create a database server target in DM for the principle db server.

If you do find you need to provide some special behaviour around deployments to your mirrored server - such as validating that the principle server is available - then we'd recommend writing a pre-deploy powershell to perform those actions, in combination with deployment variables. Examples of what Powershell can be used to do can be found on our powershell forum here.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,
    Chris[url][/url]
    Divisional Development Lead
    Redgate Software