SQL Migrations and TeamCity

matthoneycuttmatthoneycutt Posts: 11
edited May 15, 2014 1:09PM in Deployment Manager
I'm using the TeamCity add-in to create a database package from SQL Source Control, and I have Deployment Manager deploying that package, but it seems to ignore any migration scripts that are created. I can't find a solid explanation of what's needed to make it work. Am I missing something? Is there some secret "Use Migrations" variable I need to pass to it somewhere?

Comments

• Hi Matt,

Migration Scripts should work automatically with SQLCI and Deployment Manager given that you have LocalDB installed. For more information please see http://documentation.red-gate.com/displ ... nt+Manager

Are you using the SQL Automation Pack that's in the above link?

Thanks,

Ruchika
  • Yup, I am. Does LocalDB need to be installed on the build server where the TeamCity agent is running? Or does it need to be installed on the Deployment Manager server?
  • Hi Matt,

You would need LocalDB on both the TC Agent and the DM Server. You may need to have VS2012 Express or a different edition installed on these machines for SQLCI to work, however, I'd recommend installing LocalDB as a first step and see whether that solves your problem.

Cheers,

Ruchika
  • Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I've now installed VS2012 and SQL Local DB 2012 on both machines, and nothing has changed. There are no errors or anything like that, just no indication that it knows anything at all about my migration scripts or has any desire to use them. Is there some other setting in the TeamCity build step or in Deployment Manager that I need to make? I can post a screenshot of my config if that will help.

It'd be *extremely* helpful if Deployment Manager would give a useful warning or error message indicating why it isn't using migrations...
  • Hi Matt,

Could you confirm whether you're using MigrationsV2? MigrationsV1 is not supported by the TeamCity plugin and Deployment Manager.

If so, would it be possible to arrange a screencast to go through your setup?

Thanks,

Ruchika