Options

SQL Backup Hangs

kathystrohkathystroh Posts: 2
edited May 7, 2014 8:00PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
We have several SQL Backup jobs, to back up our databases both full and differentials, as well as transaction logs. Several times, the jobs have hung. When this happens, the SQL Backup GUI does not show the job active, but SQL Agent does and there is a SQL process. The only way I have found to end the job is to restart the SQL Agent service. The only way I have found to end the process is to restart the SQL Service. Has anyone seen this issue before? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    When SQL Backup encounters a critical error, it generates a stack trace of events leading up to the error. This stack trace is then stored in a file named SQBCoreService_<instance name>_bugreport.txt, and is located in 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log\' on Windows 2003 and older, and 'C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Log\' on Windows Vista and newer.

Could you please check if that file exists on your system? If it does, could you please send it to me (peter.yeoh@red-gate.com)? If the file does not exist, it may be because the SQL Backup Agent service startup account does not have rights to create the file in that folder. You can test this by manually creating the stack trace file by running the following command from Query Analyzer/Management Studio when connected to the SQL Server instance:

EXEC master..sqbutility 9997

If the file is not created, try granting read/write permissions on the abovementioned folder to the SQL Backup Agent service startup account.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8