I can't see implicit transactions

marcorussomarcorusso Posts: 29
edited April 1, 2006 3:18PM in SQL Log Rescue
I tried LogRescue but I've seen I'm able only to view explicit transactions (those between BEGIN TRAN and COMMIT TRAN) and no implicit transactions.
Is this a limitation of SQL Log Rescue or I'm missing something?
Thank you

Marco

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Marco,

I'm sorry I couldn't get a firm answer about this. Log Rescue will show all transactions, whether they're inside a begin tran/end tran or not. For instance I have use Log Rescue quite a few times on a database where all of the transactions are ad-hoc updates entered manually in Query Analyzer and was still able to generate a script for them in Log Rescue. There must be some other problem.
  • I've got a "master" database which has been strangely modified between two days I know. I'm not able to see any transaction for this database. I recovered a full backup on a different database name, but I also tried to do the analysis on the production server installing required stored procedure.
    Log Rescue start to analyze the transaction log (progress bar increment until 100%) but there are no transactions showed at the end.
    Any idea of something I should check?

Thanks

Marco
    Hi Marco,

What is the recovery model? If the data had been bulk-inserted, you may not see any of this activity in the log.
  • Full recovery model, and I'm sure operations were not bulk inserted.
    Log Rescue is designed to work on 'live' data sources, but you should also be able to restore the database to another server, then give it the full and transaction log backups in the project settings. It will then read the transaction log backups as if they were in the 'live' log.
This discussion has been closed.