Error: Have no proxy for engine object

jelajela Posts: 13
edited March 28, 2014 4:19AM in SQL Dependency Tracker
Hi all,

we just tried to use SQL Dependency Tracker 2 on a SQL Server 2012 database. For the object which we chose (a stored procedure in our case) we changed the options to "Add objects that the selected objects use (All levels)" as well.

When adding the procedure to our project, only the procedure itself has been added and no dependencies at all. Instead we received 116 error messages, which read "Have no proxy for engine object #..."

The feature list / requirements provide different information regarding the supported versions of SQL Server. The requirements state, that SQL Server 2012 IS supported (http://documentation.red-gate.com/displ ... quirements), whereas the feature list doesn't mention it (http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-de ... r/features).

Has anybody else experienced this problems? If so, what is the solution to get the dependency diagrams working for SQL Server 2012 (it seems to work fine for SQL Server 2008 databases though)?

Thanks and kind regards,
Jens

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi, thank you for your forum post.

Does this stored procedure have dependencies to or from a linked server or external data source?

Is the option to "Resolve all external references" configured?

To resolve all unresolved external references:
    1.On the toolbar, click Resolve All External References.
    A progress message box is displayed. If you select the Close message box on completion check box, SQL Dependency Tracker closes this message box automatically next time you resolve external references. Alternatively, you can set your project options to close all message boxes when operations are complete.
    2.If necessary, click OK to close the message box.

To resolve unresolved external references for selected objects:
    1.Select the objects.
    2.Right-click a selected object, click Add to Project, and then click Resolve External References.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Hi,

thank you for your reply.

I just checked again - no, the procedure does not have dependencies to linked servers or external data sources.

I also followed your instructions to make sure, I didn't have other options checked, than suggested by you. In "Project options" > "Diagram" every single option is checked. I still ran into the same problems as described in my previous post. For the procedure (as this is the only object, which gets added) the toolbar entry "Resolve All External References" is not available. Also right clicking the object in either the diagram or the "Objects in Project" list didn't provide me with an option "Add to Project" to resolve external references.

As far as I remember, Dependency Tracker worked for me before the latest update. I'm not 100% sure though, as I didn't pay attention what server versions I was connecting to before the update. As mentioned before, the problem only seems to occur on SQL Server 2012.

Thanks and kind regards,
    Jens