Comparing two databases with insufficient permissions

magomedovmagomedov Posts: 2
Hi team,
I’m trying to compare two databases – DEV and UAT instances. On DEV we have dbo right, on UAT we don’t. I want to see difference in tables and their definitions (mainly columns) + view (names, definitions are not required) and stored proc. Can this be accomplished in SQl Compare? I definitely can be done in ApexSQL Diff 2008, but in SQl Comapre I keep getting insufficient permissions error where ApexSQL Diff 2008 shows the same message as a warning and still can produce the report. This is quite urgent, can you assist please?
Thanks.

Comments

• Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Thanks for your post.

If you do not have dbo rights, granting the VIEW DEFINITION permission is sufficient to compare unencrypted objects in SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2005 databases. However, sysadmin permissions are required to decrypt encrypted stored procedures.

More about permissions here.

Let me know if this helps.
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
  • Any other option aside from said suggestion? It is a bit complicated for me to that. However, the recent case of Erik Prokopi, who smuggled dinosaur skeletons and sold them, is among the more notable instances of fossil smuggling. Believe it or not, there is a thriving underground for dinosaur bone fragments.