Options

constant crashes of SSMS

mmessanommessano Posts: 2 Bronze 1
edited April 9, 2014 5:05PM in SQL Prompt
What do I need to do so SQL Prompt stops crashing SSMS?

I have updated to the most recent stable 6.2 within the last hour and 5 minutes after starting SSMS again I am running out of memory and the program becomes unresponsive. This has been happening intermittently for a long time now and this morning has been awful trying to get work done. I have to kill SSMS as even the "Unload All Databases" button is unusable. The error catching for SQL Prompt seems to be contributing to the problem as I will see multiple error windows pile on top of each other and I can clear one or two then everything stops responding.

I have 10 or so tabs open connected to two different machines and that hardly seems like a heavy workload. I have also turned the menu option OFF and it is still loading the schemas over and over again as I switch between tabs.

Comments

• Options
    Aaron LAaron L Posts: 596 New member
    Hi mmessano,
    I'm sorry Prompt is causing SSMS to crash for you. 10 tabs connected to a couple of machines doesn't sound like it should be causing a problem.

I've got a few questions to help figure out what's going on:

1. Are there any warnings/errors in the log while loading these databases (Found under SQL Prompt->Help->Show Log)
    2. How many objects/columns are in the databases that it's crashing on?
    3. Do you have the option ticked to load databases referenced by synonyms? (under Options->Suggestions->Connections->Load referenced databases)
  • Options
    I was having the same issue of SSMS crashing several times a day and opening as many as 50 query windows when it SSMS managed to launch. I found an article - here I think - that told you how to turn off the automatic opening of windows on launch. I even closed every window when I did get SSMS to launch, then closed SSMS in the hope that it would not try to open windows that were not open when SSMS closed, but that did not help.

I have only been running with the auto-load off for a few hours, so it may not hold up, but it was getting worse and worse, and I've been up for longer now that I had been before the change.

I'm running SQL Server 2012 SP1, CU4 on Windows 7 Pro, with the databases remote.