Options

GDI+ error when exporting large PDF

PCurdPCurd Posts: 12
edited March 25, 2014 10:41PM in SQL Dependency Tracker
When I export PDF Diagram I get the error "A generic error occurred in GDI+" and no PDF is produced. I've been able to export very large diagrams before (although not this particular diagram), but today it seems to be broken.

I can export the PDF Dependency List and that is 1090 pages long. The largest diagram I have been able to export before had a 897 page Dependency List so this isn't that much bigger.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your forum post and sorry that you have encountered this problem.

The error indicates insufficient disk space but instead crashing with an error to indicate this, it errors out with the Microsoft error "A generic error occurred in GDI+".

By default SQL Dependency Tracker will create a number of temporary files in the Windows temp directory.

You can try setting a new system environment variable called RGTEMP and set the value to be a folder location with plenty of free disk space and then retry the export to pdf.

To set the environment variable:
    1. Right-click on My Computer and choose Properties.
    2.On the Advanced tab click the Environmental Variables button.
    3.Then under User or System variables click New and give the variable name as RGTEMP and the variable value as the path you want the RGTEMP folder to be created.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    Hi Eddie,

I have 102GB free disk space on the drive in question, I've set up the RGTEMP variable as suggested and opening the file produces around 260MB of files - 185 files. The GDI+ error still occurs and takes less than 2 seconds to come up after I choose a filename so I can't imagine it's chewing up 102GB of data and deleting it in that little time.

Is there anything else than could cause that error?

Thanks,
  • Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your reply.

I have added the details of this forum post to a Bug Report whose reference is DT-400 and requested that the SQL Dependency Tracker Product Manager review the report. Sadly I do not known when this bug will be fixed.

You are only second customer in 5 years to report this particular bug, previous report was in May 2009.

I will be maintaining what our Bug Tracking system calls a watch on the bug report submitted, which means I will be notified when a fix for the bug becomes available.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    Thanks Eddie,

Let me know if I can provide more evidence etc.
  • Options
    @eddie davis: Thanks Eddie,

Your advises are very useful for me to over come this problem.
    Tran Kim Anh