Options

Hit count overlows overnight

I couldn't find a "contact us" link so I am placing this here. This is not a major issue but I was quite surprised when I caused an overflow in the hitcount column by running the profiler on my simulation model , after leaving it running overnight.

System.Collections.Generic List<T>.Add(T item) 1052.2110 1785.1340 -1579974232

From the above you can see the negative hit count of -1579974232.

This is not that surprising as my simulation model contains a lot of templated collections and each one calls the above method.

Comments

• Options
    Hi there,

I'm afraid we only use a uint to store the hit count. We didn't imagine that people would be running lines of code more times than that!

I'm sorry for the limitation :oops:

Tom Harris,

Red Gate Software
  • Options
    I am going to try to put this gently, but it is very hard to.

Why would you ever limit your hitcount variable to an unint versus a uint64????. What was the cost on your end????? I still like this software and it is still usable, but not as usable as it would have been. Hit count is one of four extremely useful variables. What really hurts is that I don't see any reason at all to have limited this to a uint vs uint64.

Your developer(s) obviously thought that a uint is a large number but with today's computing power it isn't, especially given generics. I overflowed the hitcount variable the first night that I ran your software. I've been profiling my simulation model for a day now, and more and more and more hitcounts (as I take snapshots) are going negative. Please pass this on for future releases.