Options

SQL Data Generator 3 not generating random data

sbendayansbendayan Posts: 18 Bronze 1
edited February 24, 2014 3:59AM in SQL Data Generator
Greetings,

I was trying to generate some random test data for a BI solution (star schema) which had 1 fact table and about 7 dimensions. The generator was generating random data for all but 2 of the dimensions; those 2 dimensions were getting the same single value over the entire generated data set.

I tried playing with the randomization settings but no matter which setting I used ("All key values unique", "Repeat key values between 1 and 10 times", "Repeat key values at random") I would always only get a single value for these 2 dimensions.

Is there a way to get around this so that we get random values for all the dimensions?

Thanks,

SB

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

I am not exactly sure what outcome you are getting based on the way you describe the problem, but maybe it helps to know that when you use an int generator you will get the same sequence of numbers every time, unless you change the seed setting for that columns's int generator. Computers don't really have a concept of random numbers and changing the random seed is the way to change the sequence.

It may also be an FK issue - you have a primary key with 10 values and the dependent FK column has to repeat those values over and over again.

We really need a description of what you are seeing, what you expect, and a rough idea of the schema to get it doing what you want.