Options

Filter - allow filtering by modified date

ronwestonronweston Posts: 3
edited February 21, 2014 11:42AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Dear Redgate

Be neat (really) to be able to either

1) filter on not just shema/name etc but modified/created date? (ie the objects that have been modified recently)

2) tell me how i can modify the xml/scp to add a few lines in to do this (ie provide a list of included objects). then i can just run....

select name,create_date,modify_date, 'S' as typ
from sys.procedures
union
select name,create_date,modify_date, 'T' as typ
from sys.tables
order by typ, modify_date desc

and paste in the values into the project?

Oh....did i mention the large licensing order we may be about to make ;-) (sorry thats bribery right?)

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your forum post.

With regards to this request:
    1) filter on not just shema/name etc but modified/created date? (ie the objects that have been modified recently)

I have submitted a Feature Request whose reference is SC-6884. I cannot guarantee the success of the future request or if approval is given, what future version of SQL Compare it will appear here.

I recommend that you take a look at the User Voice FORUM for SQL Compare and if necessary post a new topic. The user voice forum is the preferred method of submitting a feature request and is actively monitored by the Red Gate Product Managers. The more votes a topic receives from other SQL Compare users, it will increase the chances of it appearing in a new version of the application.

With regards to the second request:
    2) tell me how i can modify the xml/scp to add a few lines in to do this (ie provide a list of included objects). then i can just run....

Sadly you cannot filter before the comparison, as SQL Compare needs to see all the objects to work out the dependencies between objects. I have added the details of this forum post to an existing request whose reference is SC-2471. Once again please check the user voice forum and a comment or new post as required.

You can however using the command line xml file using the <include> and <exclude> switches determine which objects you wish to deploy but you cannot base this around the modify or creation date. For example:
    To compare only tables containing the word "Product" except for the "ProductHistory" table:

Using an XML file:

&lt;?xml version="1.0"?&gt;
    &lt;commandline&gt;
    &lt;database1&gt;FirstDatabaseName&lt;/database1&gt;
    &lt;database2&gt;SecondDatabaseName&lt;/database2&gt;
    &lt;include&gt;Table&lt;/include&gt;
    &lt;include&gt;Table:Product&lt;/include&gt;
    &lt;exclude&gt;Table:ProductHistory&lt;/exclude&gt;
    &lt;/commandline&gt;

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis