Options

Could not log on as the ASPNET user [1326]

I'm getting this error everytime I try to start profiling an ASP.Net application. I'm running 2k3 server with IIS 6 in IIS5.0 Isolation mode. In Local Security Policies, "Log on as a batch job" includes ASPNET. In the processModel section of machine.config the username is set to "machine". I can't seem to find any information on the 1326 error message, so I'm grasping at straws here. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Windows Logon error 1326 is defined as 'unknown user name or bad password'. This is different than the error 1385 that you get when you don't have the necessary rights. Error 1385 is defined as 'Requested logon type cannot be granted on this computer'.

If you are using IIS5 isolation mode, IIS should be respecting the machine.config settings rather than using the app pool security as far as I'm aware. Settings the process model security to MACHINE will cause the web app to run as ASPNET. If you do not manually set the password for ASPNET, the password in machine.config should be AUTOGENERATE, otherwise you should make sure the password here matches the one you have set.

If you set the ASPNET password using an encrypted BLOB in the registry, ANTS Profiler cannot log on as the ASPNET user and you'll need to at least temporarily place the password in the machine.config.