Issues when mounting databases over 1GB

sql-loversql-lover Posts: 39
edited February 11, 2014 3:56AM in SQL Virtual Restore 2
Ok...

1st, I know SQL Virtual Restore is no longer supported , but for other DBAs and users, has someone seen the issue of "network timeout" error when restoring big databases?

I am trying to restore big clients this way on my MS-SQL lab, and every attempt fails, SQL Virtual Restore says that it cannot be restored due network issues, which I do not have. I am able to restore small clients though, but defeats the purpose of performing a virtual restore.

I have all my backup files on a network storage called DROBO. Which is pretty much a big SAN connected to a PC. I see that storage or SAN from my MS-SQL lab via network or UNC path.

Here is the error:
Timed out opening \\backuppathhere\backup.sqb. If the backup file is located on a network device, check network connectivity to the device from this computer

Any ideas on how to fix this? I would love to be able to restore, virtually, a 1TB database I have for development purposes.

Comments

• Sorry to hear you're having trouble with SQL Virtual restore.

If you have a support contract, then SQL Virtual restore is still supported. Our official end of support for the Hyperbac based products is 6th Feb 2015, but we won't be renewing any support contracts that run out before this date. The support unfortunately won't include any bug fixes as we no longer have any developers working on the product, but we can still offer advice if you need help using the tool.

In my experience, restoring large databases over the network is often problematic. It's also slightly trickier with .sqb files as they're normally multi-file backup sets as a result of SQL Backup taking multi-threaded backups.

There are a couple of things you could try to see if it works any better:

1. Take a single threaded backup in SQL Backup and use that for the restore. The backup process for the database will probably take a fair bit longer to complete.
    2. Convert the backup file (preferably the single threaded backup) to .bak format and virtually restore the native .bak file.
    3. Copy the file to the local server and see if that works any better. This probably isn't a long-term solution, but it might clarify if the problem is network related or not.

I hope this helps.
    Chris
  • Sorry to hear you're having trouble with SQL Virtual restore.

If you have a support contract, then SQL Virtual restore is still supported. Our official end of support for the Hyperbac based products is 6th Feb 2015, but we won't be renewing any support contracts that run out before this date. The support unfortunately won't include any bug fixes as we no longer have any developers working on the product, but we can still offer advice if you need help using the tool.

In my experience, restoring large databases over the network is often problematic. It's also slightly trickier with .sqb files as they're normally multi-file backup sets as a result of SQL Backup taking multi-threaded backups.

There are a couple of things you could try to see if it works any better:

1. Take a single threaded backup in SQL Backup and use that for the restore. The backup process for the database will probably take a fair bit longer to complete.
    2. Convert the backup file (preferably the single threaded backup) to .bak format and virtually restore the native .bak file.
    3. Copy the file to the local server and see if that works any better. This probably isn't a long-term solution, but it might clarify if the problem is network related or not.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for reply.

I actually restored locally (prior seeing your post) and tested that way. The virtual restored failed, so it's not a network issue.

Now, here's the interesting thing ... I took virtually restored using the script, instead of the GUI, and while it took a while, I was able to restore a 60GB database over the network. I just copy and paste the script on Management Studio and let it run. But I am still having issues with my larger databases. I'm confident is an issue with the product, not network or machine's performance.

How can I officially get RedGate's support on this?
  • It would probably be best to email support@red-gate.com or log a ticket on the portal referencing this thread.

Have you tried converting to native format and/or using a single threaded backup?
    Chris