Allow Searching/Sorting of Databases in Distribution Lists

dstewdstew Posts: 3
edited January 10, 2014 1:39PM in SQL Multi Script
This was mentioned here as well:

http://redgatesupport.zendesk.com/entri ... tion-Lists

But as this forum seems to get more visibility, I thought I'd post here as well.

We currently use Multiscript heavily to manage around 400 databases (and growing quickly) across about 20 database servers. There's currently not a great way to search for individual databases in the list by server or name (more important). We've been forced to reverse engineer your .dat files to generate multiple distributions lists based on our client list. One sorts by date created, one alphabetically, one by server (then alphabetically) and finally we've built an individual distribution list per server. While we've implemented this workaround and it works pretty well, we're still missing a way to find and run a script on one individual database quickly. Currently we have to go into our alphabetical view and scan down the massive list for the database in question. Ideally there'd be a textbox at the top of the database list that would filter while you type based on a partial string match. While additional built in sorting of lists would be nice, again we have a workaround, so it's not top priority for us.

The database search would be a HUGE time saver for us. Let me know if you need any further details on this.

Thanks,

Dave

Comments

• Thanks for your post.

We've had a few requests for this feature over the years, but unfortunately it has never been scheduled into any future versions of the product.

There isn't any short-term plans for this to change, but I'll make sure it's considered for the next time we work on the product.

I really don't know when this might be, but it's unlikely it will be within the next six months.

Sorry, I don't have any better news.
    Chris
  • @Dave

Out of interest, are you using SQL Multi Script to deploy one-to-many schema changes to your databases, or run one-to-many queries?
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Both, its use for schema changes is crucial to our SaaS company that relies on consistent database changes, but we also query all client databases (again, shared schema) to pull one off reports and make one-off changes.

Dave