Can't Connect to Local SQl Server instance

seanpbrownseanpbrown Posts: 2
edited December 31, 2013 8:18AM in Deployment Manager
Hello,

I recently downloaded deployment manager starter edition to see if it is something that we want to use. I installed it locally, and am trying to add a local sql server instance as a target. I keep getting an error "System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Login failed for user 'svc_Deployment'". Sounds like I didn't set up the user correctly in the local db, but I set up the exact same user on one of our actual development servers, and I can connect to that server just fine. It seems like maybe there is something different about pointing deployment manager to a local db that I am not getting. The only thing I noticed in the requirements page is I needed to turn on named pipes on the local db. ALso, I have not installed agents on either of my db instances. Thanks!

Comments

• Which requirements page asked you to turn on named pipes for your local db? There is nothing different that you have to do to try to connect to do a local db.

Steps below show how I created a new user in my SQL Server local instance and connected to it via DM.

In SSMS, at the root level click on Security->Logins-> right-click to create new login and you are shown this pop up:
    LMHT3a8.png

Then in Deployment Manager Environments page add a SQL Server target like so:
    HTD30pc.png

Health check succeeds for me. Could you let me know what you are doing different? If it still fails for you please do a manual health check (Environments -> Check health) and paste the log in this conversation. Thanks!
    Chirayu Shishodiya
    Software Engineer - Deployment Manager
    Red Gate