Licensing.

noob2013noob2013 Posts: 25
edited December 17, 2013 3:08AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
How does the SQL Backup Pro licensing works?

I know there are 2 pieces - client and server to the SQL Backup Pro.
1) Is the license just for the client?
2) Are there limitations to number of sql server instances? Or is this a question for our contract? I think we have the SQL Toolbelt http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-de ... -toolbelt/

Thanks!

Comments

• What happens if we need to test restores of our backups to a different server? We're going to need to install the server component to the other server. Is that a violation of the licensing if we only have 1 license for server component?
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    I would suggest contacting your Red Gate sales representative to see if they can set you up with a 'restore only' license, or you could just write directly to sales@red-gate.com to explain your needs. In the meantime, you could use a trial license on the other server to test your restores.

Another option, space and time permitting, is to convert the SQL Backup backup file to a native SQL Server backup file using the SQL Backup conversion utilities (no license required), and restore from the native backup file.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • I have read somewhere that there are tools that will verify the backup file without actual test restores.
    Does Red-Gate SQL Backup Pro requires an actual test restores to verify the backup file?

Where can I download SQL Backup Conversion Utilities?
    Edit: Found it on C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Backup 7 but it kept error out with: "SQBConverterGUI has stopped working"

with options to close the program or debug the program.
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    It is safest to test the backup by actually restoring it, as there can be errors in the backup file that a RESTORE VERIFYONLY process cannot catch, but that can prevent a successful restore.

Could you please try using the SQBConverter.exe command line interface?
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8