How can I profile an azure website

johnmortaljohnmortal Posts: 3
edited December 18, 2013 11:20AM in ANTS Performance Profiler 8
How can I profile our asp.net website with WCF running on windows Azure? This is a big deal for us as it is the main reason we are interested in a profiler (we are running the trial version of redgate Ants to see how useful it is for that scenario, but it isn't clear how it could be done).

Comments

• We don't treat Azure any differently from a remotely logged in session so you can just fire ANTS up and point it to the IIS binding as per usual.

Are you having any problems as such? Could you post a typical screen shot if you are?
  • Your forum has a number of questions about whether remote profiling is possible and it looks like the answer to all of them is that it is not possible.

1) It sounds like you are saying that remote profiling is possible with redgate ants. If so, please direct me to instructions on how this is done.

or maybe you meant

2) My second guess would be that you are suggesting one simply install redgate ants directly onto the azure instance hosting the IIS server by using remote login, and then run ants profiler on that instance directly.

Since azure uses round robin when passing requests to instances this means you will profile whatever calls happen to hit that instance, which might not be all the ones you wanted, but it gives you a way to run instrumented profiling on your azure website.

but maybe you actually meant

3) Something else.

Could you please clarify which of these you meant?
  • Its number 2. So your point about round robin will apply. I didn't know this previously so it's appreciated.