Comparing Revision1 with Revision2 to compare static data

ax4413ax4413 Posts: 7
Hi,

Can any one help me. I am trying to compare the data of two revisions of my source controlled database. The background to this; is that I am trying to compare static data in a particular way. I am using xml to specify the command line arguments to define this comparison. I am calling sql data compare withe the following code:
SQLDataCompare.exe /argfile:C:\temp\DataCompareArgs.xml /verbose

The xml syntax is below:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<commandline> 
	<scriptsfolderxml>C:\temp\ScriptFolderLocation.xml</scriptsfolderxml>
	<sourcecontrol1/>
	<revision1>HEAD</revision1>
	<sourcecontrol2/>
	<revision2>49</revision2>
	<!-- Include only the tables that you are intersetd in and define the comparison key you wish to compare on. Exclude the primary key for comparison -->
	<Include>Table:Foo</Include>
	<ComparisonKeys>Foo:ix_foo_some_id</ComparisonKeys>
 	<ExcludeColumns>Foo:PrimaryKey</ExcludeColumns>
 	<ScriptFile>C:\temp\DataDiff.sql</ScriptFile>	
</commandline>

On executing the the above code I get the following output:

Registering databases
Mapping
Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

As you can see i am getting a object reference exception.

If i edit the args xml and replace the nodes <sourcecontrol2/><revision2>49</revision2> with <database2>Target</database2> the command will work. So the problem must persist in comparing two revisions in source control.

Any help would be greatly recieved.

Thanks

Comments

• I decided to try and accomplish my original goal by using the UI and it does exactly what I want. But when calling it from the command line I get the same error as before Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    SQLDataCompare.exe /Project:'C:\temp\SourceTarget.sdc' /verbose

What gives???
  • Thank you for reporting this issue to us.
    I was able to reproduce this behavior and have logged this issue under the internal reference number of SDC-1678.
    Unfortunately I am unable to provide a definitive timeline for when this might be fixed.
    Manfred Castro
    Product Support
    Red Gate Software