What are the challenges you face when working across database platforms? Take the survey

Slow report generation

thingfishthingfish Posts: 3
I am comparing 3000 stored procedures, 300 tables and 300 functions.

The compare itself takes about 5 minutes per database which is fine. However, when I go to run the report, SQL Compare seems to eventually just stall.

I start out with 40-60% CPU utilization and 350 MB of RAM usage. After 350 MB of RAM is hit, SQL Compare starts using about 700 out of 766 MB of virtual memory.

CPU usage drops to about 1-2% with occasional jumps to 14% and in the task manager, SQL Compare shows as "not responding."

I am using AMD Athlon XP 2000+ w/ 512 MB RAM.

What can I do to get this to work?

edit: is the version I am on. I just tried this on a server with dual HT Xeons @ 2.6 GHz and it still grinds to a halt. The server has 4 GB of RAM and SQL Bundle only uses about 700 MB of it.


  • Options

    I'd suggest saving the report in HTML format rather than RTF. The RTF report generation results in much larger, slower reports.
  • Options
    I was printing HTML Report :)

    It's ok for now because I just did "Print Results" and I will manually compare what I need.


    P.S. I eventually got an "Out of memory" Exception when running it on that server.
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1

    Large schemas can cause this problem with the reports. The process can be especially intense on the hard disk because an XML dump of all the schema DDL is saved to an XML file and then transformed into an HTML document. You can try including a smaller number of objects into the report. Another option is to modify the SQLCompareReportTemplate.xsl file to remove the dynamic elements and not show the SQL DDL for each object.
Sign In or Register to comment.