Options

Can't connect to aliased SQL Server 2012

ngarrisngarris Posts: 19
edited November 26, 2013 5:04AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
For security, we've given a new SQL Server default instance an alias with a non-standard port. Using the alias (and also using the server name) we are not able to connect using SQL Monitor, it says the Windows host is unreachable. We are able to connect using the alias from Management Studio on two DBA desktops. Can you help? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    I should add that on the server running SQL Monitor (which also hosts SQL Server and the SQL Monitor database), I added an alias for the aliased server using SQL Server Configuration Manager.
  • Options
    Hi,

Are you able to ping this machine (which hosts aliased SQL Server) from the machine which has SQL Monitor Base Monitor service installed? Windows host unreachable message indicates that machine hosting SQL Monitor Base Monitor is not able to see this machine which is hosting aliased SQL Server.

For connecting to SQL Server on non-standard port, select the SQL Server and then click 'Edit credentails'. After this, click 'Edit properties', you should be able to enter port number here.

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    Thanks. I tried editing the properties to connect using TCP/IP and the correct port number (all other settings left at default). I tried both the alias and the actual server name. Both come up unreachable.
  • Options
    P.S. I can successfully ping the server I want to add from the server which is running SQL Monitor.
  • Options
    Are you able to add the server itself in SQL Monitor? Ideally, if the connection issue exists with SQL Server only then you should still be able to add the server hosting SQL Server to SQL Monitor? Can you try doing data collection tests at listed here http://documentation.red-gate.com/pages ... d=17270677?

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    No, SQL Monitor cannot reach the Windows host, it is unreachable.
  • Options
    Here are the results of the suggested tests to diagnose SQL Monitor connection problems. I have passed them along to our server admins to see if they can resolve these issues.
    1. Ping works.
    2. Remote registry access does not work (PerfMon on SQL Monitor server, logged on as login used to access database server, will not access the database server).
    3. WMI does not work when accessed from the SQL Monitor server.
    4. Remote file access works.
    5. The SQL connection fails for both Windows and SQL logins.
  • Options
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

This help page lists the permission you require for monitoring a machine and SQL Server.

If you are using Base Monitor account to monitor this server then make sure that the account has required permission on the server and SQL Server.

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software