Options

SQL Prompt 6 stops suggesting table names

andyhammerandyhammer Posts: 10 Bronze 2
edited December 3, 2013 6:12AM in SQL Prompt
In SSMS 2008, prompt will stop making table name suggestions. The drop down does not even show the tables. I always have multiple tabs open. Some tabs will work fine, others do not. Closing/opening a file does not fix the issue. The only way I have found to fix this is to restart SSMS. :(

Comments

• Options
    Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Thanks for your post.

Can you try the latest version of SQL Prompt 6.1.0.101? Hopefully this version should sort this issue.

You can get this version by navigating to SQL Prompt --> Help --> Check for updates.

Let me know if this helps.
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    I will install the update.
  • Options
    pswaterspswaters Posts: 3 Bronze 1
    I am having a very similar issue with 6.1.0.101. I am refactoring a few queries that have several joins. SQL Prompt works as expected for 6 to 12 joins, and then stops suggesting tables and columns. The queries work and SQL Prompt will format them without any errors.

If I press <crtl> - <space> I get a list of code snippets and nothing else.

Thanks.
    Paul S. Waters
  • Options
    I un-installed version 6.1.0.101 and installed version 5.2.8.2, and I still have the same issues. I am guessing that there is something in my queries that SQL Prompt does not like, but I cannot find it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Paul S. Waters
  • Options
    I am back on version 6.1.0.101 and I have a work a round for the issue. I noticed that when I deleted some comments above where IntilliPrompt stopped making suggestions for joined columns, it started to work for another join or 2. So deleted all but a couple of columns in my select statement, and now IntilliPrompt works as expected for the joins.

Is there a limit to the size of the query for intelliprompt to work?

Thanks.
    Paul S. Waters
  • Options
    Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    If you wish to alter the behaviour of SQL Prompt where it does not suggest variables over large blocks of SQL or fails to provide help with large scripts, you can edit the RedGate_SQLPrompt_Engine_EngineOptions.xml file.

This file should be in the below location:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Red Gate\SQL Prompt 6

The string in the file you need to edit is <ParserLookBackDistance>5000</ParserLookBackDistance><ParserLookAheadDistance>3000</ParserLookAheadDistance>

The figure detailed here is in bytes. You can increase the look back distance as much as you like. However please be aware that, depending on your hardware, there may be a considerable degradation in the performance of the tool.

Please let me know if that helps.
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    PVCCPVCC Posts: 1 New member
    I've been living with this exact issue for quite a long while now.  I worked around it by using Ctrl+Shift+P to toggle whether or not I was getting native suggestions (tables) or SQL Prompt suggestions which no longer include the dbo.schema.table,column,cte,temp table, etc  But, even that stopped working in the most recent update.  Version 10.3.2.15491