Options

Profiler add a second mscorlib assembly

philippe.martensphilippe.martens Posts: 9
edited October 24, 2013 1:53AM in ANTS Performance Profiler 8
When recording performance for a program using Linq for NHibernate, the program crashed with a Type initilization error exception (but works normally outside of performance profiler).

After some investigation, it boils down to Remotion Linq executing
var mscorlibReference = Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().GetReferencedAssemblies().Single (name => name.Name == "mscorlib")

which is quite reasonable.

But running with performance profiler version 8.0, every assembly gets one supplementary referenced assembly, namely mscorlib version 1.0.3300.0, and thus seems to reference 2 mscorlib assemblies.

Comments

• Options
    The problem is still present with version 8.3
  • Options
    Hi Philippe,

Thanks for letting us know. I've added this to our bug tracking system (reference: PP-3428) for investigation.

Dom.
    Dominic Smith,
    Project Manager,
    Redgate.
  • Options
    Hi again Philippe,

The developers have looked at this, and we have confirmed this issue.

However, it looks like Re-motion have fixed the bug at their end (https://www.re-motion.org/jira/browse/RM-3832), so upgrading re-linq may help you.

Dom.
    Dominic Smith,
    Project Manager,
    Redgate.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I don't use Re-Linq directly, I use it from NHibernate (and it is merged in NHibernate assembly).

Upgrading Re-Linq would then require upgrading NHibernate, and the latest versions come with an embedded proxy generator which doesn't support generic methods in generic classes (which I use in my infrastructure classes).

I would then need to endorse support for the Castle based ProxyGenerator from the version I'm currently using...

For now, I've just patched Re-Linq and rebuild it and NHibernate, but only for dev/test purposes.

So I'll wait for your correction of the problem.

Regards.