Options

Unslected counters don't disappear from the graphs

philippe.martensphilippe.martens Posts: 9
edited November 5, 2013 11:35AM in ANTS Performance Profiler 8
I've recorded performance with several counters, but I would like to display only one of these at a time.
Even when I uncheck the boxes from the "Chart counters" zone in the upper left, the counters are still displayed in the graph.

Also, the scale for "% Processor Time" is gigantic (third tick is labeled 9,8304E+06%), rendering the graph completely useless.

I had the problem with version 8.0, and I still have it with version 8.3 I just installed.

Comments

• Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi Philippe,

Thanks for your post!

Regarding the unchecking of chart counters..

I am able to reproduce this problem on one of my machines--kindly bear with me as I look into this!

Regarding the gigantic processor time..

Out of range values like this can happen sometimes because of glitches in Microsoft's implementation of performance counters (ANTS reports the same values as perfmon would). The out of range values are more likely to occur if the counters are read too frequently or at times of high system load. (The same effect will be visible in perfmon, but it's not as noticeable as perfmon overwrites previous data after a minute.)

There's not a lot that ANTS can do about this, I'm so sorry to say, as it is a problem with the Microsoft counters. :/

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Options
    Hi Philippe,

After further investigation, it seems that the timeline problem with unchecking counters is related to the .NET Framework. Could you please try reinstalling .NET 4.0?

• Options
    Hi Jessica,

I've first repaired, and then completely removed and reinstalled .NET 4 (Client Profile & Extended).

Because I also removed the multi-targeting pack (now I know it's part of Visual Studio 2010), I also had to uninstall Visual Studio 2010 SP1, repair Visual Studio 2010 and then reinstall Visual Studio 2010 SP1.

This took a lot of time, but doesn't change anything concerning the timelilne problem.

Regards.
  • Options
    Hi Philippe,

So sorry to hear that hasn't helped! I did some more testing and it seems that the unchecking feature may actually require that .NET 4.5 is installed. We have a bug logged for this with reference PP-30230 and are still investigating. Please bear with us--I will post here once there is an update!

In the meantime, the feature will likely work if you save your results and view them on a machine where .NET 4.5 is installed (but please let us know should that still fail for you!). So sorry for the inconvenience this bug causes!

• Options
    Hi Jessica,

Installing .NET 4.5 does indeed solve the problem.
    As .NET 4.5 replaces .NET 4.0, I'll now have to check it doesn't create problems elsewhere.

Regards
  • Options
    Hi Philippe,

I'm glad to hear that helped! I'll let the developers know.

I wasn't sure if you'd want to install .NET 4.5 on your machine, but you hopefully shouldn't experience any issues and need to uninstall. If so, just viewing the results on a machine with it already installed should work. :)