Options

Feature Request: Excluding objects from snapshot

colinbocolinbo Posts: 18
edited February 17, 2006 5:27AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I'm working on incorporating the command line version into our build process. I'd like to see a future release where we can exclude objects when making a snapshot. The reason behind it is that our development environment always contains a set of users which do not exist in our production environment (e.g. developers have db_owner access in development, but not in production). As a result when comparing changes to a database in production we never want to have users factor.

Comments

• Options
    colinbo wrote:
    I'm working on incorporating the command line version into our build process. I'd like to see a future release where we can exclude objects when making a snapshot. The reason behind it is that our development environment always contains a set of users which do not exist in our production environment (e.g. developers have db_owner access in development, but not in production). As a result when comparing changes to a database in production we never want to have users factor.

We save all schema information in our snapshots, regardless the options that are set (e.g. if one sets ignore triggers, we still save triggers into the snapshot, since in the future one may change the option). Among the reasons for saving everything is the complex dependencies that a database may contain.
    One can of course use these options to control the synchronization later, but if you would like to have full flexibility and control over what objects are synchronized, I would recommend our toolkit. It allows you to filter objects/differences at a very fine grain from a .Net based application.

Regards,
    Andras
    András Belokosztolszki, PhD
    Red Gate Software Ltd.