Error: Failed to read file list from backup file.

rdaltonrdalton Posts: 36
edited February 16, 2006 8:05PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I'm running ver 4.1. I'm trying to restore a ver.3 backup. I'm using the wizard. As soon as 'step 3 of 4' screen comes up, a pop up box appears with this error.

What does this mean? How can I get around it?

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Could you pls run the RESTORE FILELISTONLY command from Query Analyzer to see if it works e.g.

exec master..sqlbackup '-sql "RESTORE FILELISTONLY FROM DISK = [<file name>]"'
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Can you give more detail? What is the filelist? What file name do i need to supply? What does this command do?

I looked in the help document and it doesn't give any detail.
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    The RESTORE FILELISTONLY command is similar to that found in SQL Server. You can look up the details by looking up RESTORE FILELISTONLY in the SQL Server Books Online index.

It displays the list of files used by the database, which SQL Backup needs in step 3 of the restore wizard.

To run this in Query Analyzer, provide the name of the backup file. If your file is located in G:\Backups\pubs_full.sqb, run the following in Query Analyzer

exec master..sqlbackup '-sql "RESTORE FILELISTONLY FROM DISK = [G:\Backups\pubs.sqb]"'

and check the output.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8