Profiler blocks my application

Hallo everyone,
I have installed ANTS Profiler a couple of days ago... I'm trying to performance-profile a C# console application (that links dynamically a couple of dll), but I have encountered a strange issue.
The application starts normally, and loads some medium-size files (~12MB) than creates a socket waiting for connections (it's a server), but takes almost 10 times the seconds needed to load these files (from 19 seconds to 200), moreover it takes more than
200 times the time needed to save them (from 1 second to more than 240)... during the profiling the application becames slower and slower, until it stops complitely... obviusly without profiler it has no problems at all... do you know why this could happen?

I am profiling the application compiled in debug mode, with PDBs and sources for both executable and dinamically linked library, moreover I am profiling only functions with sourcecode...

Oh, my machine is a P4 478 Prescott (2MB L2 Cache) with 1GB RAM... maybe it can be useful :P

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

Sorry that nobody got around to answering this. All I can really suggest is that ANTS Profiler is using up all of the system resources. It can potentially eat up lots of memory and disk space. Perhaps using the enable/disable button to only profile certain sections of the application will help?
  • Uhmm... I thought the same (too much resources were eaten while profiling), but it seems a bit too much, anyway... just to give more infos, the main program loads at runtime a dll and uses reflection to access many dll-related functions... files to load are not so big, and it seemss strange to me that ANTS profiler eats up so much memory (moreover checked with task manager memory and CPU usage... it was not so high... it seems like the profiler is waiting for something, or many exceptions are generated in loop...).
    Any idea is welcome :D