Options

Source Control

benik9benik9 Posts: 7
We are using Source Control with TFS, in shared mode. I put different servers under different projects.

Every time I restart SSMS, all the databases are marked as "possibly having uncommitted changes", even if there were no changes.

If I open "Commit Changes", it searches for changes, and then after some delay, returns with "no objects with changes to be committed to source control". The database icon also changes, indicating it has no uncommitted changes.

Has anyone else seen this problem? It's quite inefficient. Is there a way to avoid having to refresh source control for every database? Or, is there a batch script to refresh all databases in SSMS, instead of manually refreshing each database?

Also, I suspected that the problem might be related to using tempdb. The following seemed promising, but this article seems to assume that only one database server is used with the source control. Does anyone know what happens, if there is a way to specify this "per" database server?

http://documentation.red-gate.com/displ ... +databases

Thanks,
Ben

Comments

• Options
    Hi Ben- I might need a little clarification on your exact setup. Shared mode is indeed intended to be used when one set of files in TFS maps back to one single database that is used by several developers at once.

If you have a few different SQL Servers, each having their own copy of the database, and these are all linked to the same TFS location, then that is "dedicated" mode. I can't quite tell if that's exactly the case from your post though...

In general, we show the blue blob when we detect a change to an object (by picking up an entry from tempdb, as you mentioned).
    When you refresh the Commit tab, a full comparison between the database and the working base folder is performed and the blue blobs and commit tab will update according to whatever differences are picked up. This article which explains the architecture may help a bit: SQL Source Control architecture
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software