Options

Issue with declaring @pv for BLOB data in 10.4.8.62

paschottpaschott Posts: 71 Bronze 4
I generated scripts for our databases that disable triggers and constraints before modifying data in the database. I noticed that for several of these scripts, there is a DECLARE @pv command at the beginning of the script, followed by a DISABLE TRIGGER command, followed by a "GO". I recorded the output of my script and noticed that there were several errors because the variable "@pv" was not declared.

Looking through the rest of the script, it seemed that the @pv variable was declared within each transaction/batch, but for the very first data transaction/batch, it was declared outside of that section.

Shouldn't the DECLARE @pv command be done after all of the constraint and trigger disables, just before we actually start manipulating data?

Comments

• Options
    Is this issue caused by using the "split transactions into batches" option in the application options?
  • Options
    I believe it is related to that. I'm using Data Compare to script out entire customers from our multi-tenant database. It works great for the most part, but generates very large files. From what I can tell in one of the smaller files, the DECLARE @pv section is at the very top of the file and is followed by several commands to disable constraints. Those all have GO to separate the batches, which means that when the first actual section is run to insert data, there is no variable declared to handle the BLOB data.
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    I'm trying to reproduce this - what is the problematic BLOB type (image, text, binary), version of SQL Server, and the size of BLOBS going in?

It doesn't seem to use or need the pointer for nvarchar(max) on SQL 2008, but it does declare @pv again in every block of split transactions.
  • Options
    I'm trying to reproduce this - what is the problematic BLOB type (image, text, binary), version of SQL Server, and the size of BLOBS going in?

It doesn't seem to use or need the pointer for nvarchar(max) on SQL 2008, but it does declare @pv again in every block of split transactions.

Pretty sure it's with XML or Text data. This is coming from SQL Server 2005 going to SQL 2012 (though that ideally shouldn't matter). When I pulled up one of the smaller scripts that failed, I noticed that the only DECLARE @pv prior to using it was not in the same transaction block. When I ran the Data Compare directly, it worked and I figured the script would work as well, but I can't seem to run the saved script.

I'll try another data compare to see if that makes a difference. I was just hoping to avoid that as the generated scripts are hundreds of MB and if I can't reuse the scripts, that makes the process a little less useful.
  • Options
    How do you re-use the scripts? Are you running them in another tool, like sqlcmd?
  • Options
    How do you re-use the scripts? Are you running them in another tool, like sqlcmd?

I'm using SQLCMD to run the scripts. Otherwise, what is the point of saving out the data compare to a script. I want the ability to re-create an empty set of databases and run just the scripts to populate them with a base set of data to use for testing and development work.

Obviously that data will change in small ways over time, but populating a working set is a good start. I'm almost positive that this worked properly in a prior version of Data Compare.
  • Options
    My thought is, that if it works in SQL Data Compare but not from sqlcmd, perhaps there is some option you can change in sqlcmd? I'm not sure how sqlcmd deals with batches and transactions.
  • Options
    My thought is, that if it works in SQL Data Compare but not from sqlcmd, perhaps there is some option you can change in sqlcmd? I'm not sure how sqlcmd deals with batches and transactions.

I'll regenerate the scripts soon, but SQLCMD should work as a standard SQL Script. I can't declare a variable in one batch and then use it in a different batch. If Data Compare is not appropriately declaring the variables within their batches, that's a problem that should be addressed.
  • Options
    And I just tried to re-use the newly created scripts. No luck. I'll try scripting without the option to split the script into multiple transactions next time around, but to me if I have the option to generate a SQL Script, I should be able to use that script to push changes to the database without needing Data Compare.
  • Options
    SQLCMD may be truncating the script. It has limitations both in the file size and the maximum size for a large object. http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums ... m=sqltools
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure that the SQLCMD options referenced in that article have to do with OUTPUT not INPUT. Reading through the thread and looking at the options, it doesn't seem like they'd apply.

As for the file length, SQLCMD keeps going through the file after the failures. It just doesn't have a variable @pv to process the BLOB data in those particular batches.

Today I plan to try the scripts again without the option to break the transactions apart. Hopefully that will help. However, there still seems to be something off when choosing to split the script into multiple batches and declaring the @pv variable correctly. I'm pretty sure this worked in an earlier release, but don't recall which and I tweaked my scripts since then to disable triggers as well as PK/FK constraints when generating them.
  • Options
    Tried the option to generate a script as one single script, no transactions. I still got the error with @pv not being declared properly.

I really think there is an issue with Data Compare not declaring the @pv variable in the correct place if the options are chosen to disable FK constraints and triggers.