Source Control Syncing multiple databases for one link

rlamb2rlamb2 Posts: 4
Hi,

We have 4 Environments, each with 3 databases I need in SSC. I was setting up in each environment, and it worked well for the Dev and UAT connections.

But when I tried to setup QA1 or QA2, the databases are showing as already linked to UAT. When I remove the links, they are also removed from the UAT system.

While these systems do share the same structure (same db names), I am using different IP's and different logins to access them. SSC even recognizes that the objects within them do not match what is currently checked in to SVN (Which is UAT), so obviously the databases are different. Closing and re-opening didn't solve the problem either.

Anyone know what may be causing this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi there,
    I think last time we saw this kind of behaviour it was because the server names matched up, even though you were accessing them via different IP addresses. Do you know if this is the case for you?
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• Hi James, thanks for the reply! You're correct, when I run
    nslookup <my.ip,address>

they return the same server name. Looks like they are virtual servers on the same box maybe? Do you know of any work arounds for this type of setup? Can I force SSC to only use IP address, and not convert that to server names?

Thanks,
    Russ
  • I'm pretty sure you can't easily get around this as we use the name we obtain from the instance when we query it?
    But I'd suggest initially editing your linkeddatabases.xml file (in c:\users\<your username>\appdata\local\red gate\sql source control 3) to see if replacing the server name with the IP address for each linked DB helps.

@SERVERNAME&quot; against the server or similar, which will return the name rather than IP? Worth trying though!
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• Thanks, I'll give it a shot and report back!