Migrate DM to another machine

mwoffendenmwoffenden Posts: 98
edited September 17, 2013 12:32PM in Deployment Manager
I have setup several projects (and have the corresponding deployment history) on one machine. This is where projects get deployed from.

I want to move all this project metadata (setup DM) on another machine.

Is there any easy way to do this?
Michael Woffenden
Founder and President
Information Results Corporation

Comments

• csmithcsmith Posts: 138 Bronze 1
    Hi Michael

I believe my colleague, James, has contacted you directly through our Support Ticket system to help with your query and you've managed to move to another machine successfully - which is great!

However, I'll repeat James's advice here for others:

It's pretty straightforard to move your installation of DM to another machine. To move your data (projects/settings/etc) you'll just need to copy DM's underlying database onto your new installation. To do this, you'd follow a process like the below:
      Deactivate your serial number on the old machine (so that you can activate it on the new one) Stop the Deployment Manager service on the old machine Copy C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\DeploymentManager\Data (or whatever your custom data location is) to the appropriate on the new machine (ProgramData is a hidden folder by default) THEN install Deployment Manager on the new machine. Finally, activate the serial number on the new machine
    Best regards,
    Chris
    Divisional Development Lead
    Redgate Software
  • James did help me get it working and it worked perfectly.

I did make a slight change to the ordering, however, installing DM first and then replacing the new DATA folder with my old (saved) data.

My remaining questions are related to the backup files that are automatically created.

1) what are they for?
    2) can I turn off this backup? it creates dozens of files that never get deleted.
    Michael Woffenden
    Founder and President
  • csmithcsmith Posts: 138 Bronze 1
    Hi

Thanks for the clarification with the ordering - it does seem nicer to install DM first!

The backups are so you can protect the data in the RavenDB instance used by DM. You would be able to restore your RavenDB from a previous backup if you'd suffered a serious HW failure (To do that you'd need to use the Raven Smuggler executable that is handily installed in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\Deployment Manager\Server folder).

You can turn scheduled backups off by going to "Settings > Data repository backups > Change backup settings" in your DM web portal. Then uncheck the "Backup the database automatically" option.

Best regards,
    Chris
    Divisional Development Lead
    Redgate Software
  • Excellent - I turned it off.
    Michael Woffenden
    Founder and President