Options

Exception while profiling service

Hi,

I just downloading the evaluation version ov ANTS Profiler 2.6 to memory profile a .NET service. When I start profiling, I get an error message and find the following message in the application log:

Unable to start profiler - exception details System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot start service NMCConverter on computer '.'. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Server stack trace:
at RedGate.Profiler.Engine.ProfilingSession.StartProfiler()
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.PrivateProcessMessage(MethodBase mb, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, IMessageSink replySink)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.EndInvokeHelper(Message reqMsg, Boolean bProxyCase)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RemotingProxy.Invoke(Object NotUsed, MessageData& msgData)
at System.Windows.Forms.MethodInvoker.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult result)
at _3._4(IAsyncResult )

The service is running fine in stand-alone mode.

Thanks in advance
Matt

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello Matt,

Assuming that NMCConverter is the service that you're profiling and not a dependent service, I'd check the application log and see if your service is leaving behind a reason why it doesn't start. It could be a logon failure or an issue in the service initialization code.

ANST Profiler waits 30 seconds for the service to start, so there may also be an issue there because the code slows down when it's being profiled. If you have a lot of startup code in the service, you may want to try cutting it down or simple profiling the service as a regular executable with the service bits removed.
This discussion has been closed.