Options

Clicking in Password box on SQL Server Auth is Painful

erenkenerenken Posts: 10 Bronze 3
edited September 10, 2013 5:41AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
If you have a saved project that is pointing to a server using Windows Auth and follow these steps you will find it such a pain to enter a password!
:evil:

Type in a server name that will require SQL Server Auth
Select SQL Auth
Enter the user name (ex sa)
Click in the Password box to enter the password, the UI will stop responding
Why you are waiting for the ui click in another window on screen and then go back you will find that it doesn't respond well each time you go back.
When you are trying to enter the password you will also have problems entering the password as it will stop accepting input after a few characters. When you click off and back on to it still doesn't respond. You will see sometimes it will show your cursor in the dialog but fail to respond to input or not flash the cursor and become unresponsive.

After a long time of this the other day I finally got an out of memory error with the program. If there are any logs I can send you I would be happy to.

Comments

• Options
    Hello,

Sorry to say, I cannot reproduce this behavior. Is it possible that the computer is just low on resources? Did you try another computer?
  • Options
    erenkenerenken Posts: 10 Bronze 3
    Not low on resources. Computer has an i7 with 16 GB of RAM. Only time I had problems with resources was when this program started throwing an Out of Memory error and showed over 1 GB of memory in use for it.

Do your error get logged any where? I would be happy to share the log. I would also be more than happy to share my screen in a remote session so you can see this. Might be an issue when the server is a remote server on your LAN. It is kind of temperamental, but it is a PIA.
  • Options
    The log is not going to help with whatever oddness is causing the password textbox to be slow.

The out-of-memory, again this is probably not going to be in the log because this kind of exception prevents the log from working.

SQL Compare can only use 2GB of your memory because it's a 32-bit process. So I assume you have a big database.

I can send you debug instructions via email and that should pinpoint where the memory exception happens. No guarantee I can get it fixed for you, though, as more than likely it's just because the database schema is bigger than it can handle.