Options

SQLPrompt cannot retrieve objects - timeout

ahmannjahmannj Posts: 16
edited August 30, 2013 4:46PM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Each time I open a query window for the first time in a new SSMS session on a certain production database, I get an error from SQL prompt telling me that it couldn't retrieve all the schema information due to a timeout expiring. I believe it has already most of the schema information, but might be hung up on a synonym that could be invalid (the last item in the SQL Prompt status window says something like "processing synonyms"). Dev and Test copies of the DB work just fine, though they are less busy and have fully resolvable synonyms.

Anyway, after I dismiss the error dialog I get no suggestions in for that query window at all. Of all the databases I work with, this is the one that I need the most help from SQL Prompt for - due to the support urgency of the queries I run there.

I'd like to know how I can configure SQL prompt to extend its timeout. In addition, is there a way to configure (or change SQL Prompt) to allow it to use the partially collected schema information to get some level of suggestions despite not having all synonyms, etc. in its cache.

Also, Is there a way I can see what SQL Prompt is trying to look at when it times out (tracing SQL on that server is not a good option for me) - that might give me an ability to isolate the offending object.

BTW, this happens in both SQL Prompt 5 and 6 in both SSMS 2008R2 and 2012.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Aaron LAaron L Posts: 596 New member
    Unfortunately there's no way to change the timeout or tell it to use a partial cache in the current build. I just had a look at what we log and it looks like that's going to be insufficient for narrowing down exactly where prompt times out.

I'll look into better logging and a configurable timeout today and hopefully have a private build for you later today - I'd be very interested to know which of our queries is timing out and why!
  • Options
    Aaron LAaron L Posts: 596 New member
    I tried sending an email but got a delivery failed notification so I've sent you a PM with the details of the private build.
  • Options
    Thanks - I'll give it a try and let you know. I'll also check my email address.
  • Options
    The problem is being caused by a few synonyms that refer to a linked server that no longer exists. Apparently nobody is using these anymore.

SQL Prompt is timing out waiting for the remote connection attempts to timeout, and wisely gives up first.