Options

SQL Backup 3.2 Vs SQL Backup 4 Installation

michellem33michellem33 Posts: 19
edited February 5, 2006 10:28PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,

We have been using SQL Backup 3 in our environment for some time now. I have recenltly been testing version 4 in our environment also.

In version 3 it was a matter of installing the product and registering the SQL instance using the GUI. With version 4 I need to install the product then run the SQBServerSetup.exe command to install for a named instance and then run the install/upgrade components using the GUI.

I was wondering why the installation procedure for a named instance of SQL has become more complex with version 4.

Apart from that; I have been very happy with my testing of the product.

Michelle

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    The common use case scenario for the installation was expected to be as follows:

- user installs SQL Backup on default instance
    - SQL Backup server components are installed on additional named instances via the GUI, as there wasn't a need to install the GUI multiple times

Admittedly, there were some situations where this broke down e.g. when there were no default instances on a server, installation on clusters etc.

Was there a reason why you had to run SQBServerSetup manually, instead of running the install via the GUI? If you could install/upgrade via the GUI, you needn't have had to run the setup manually.

In 4.1, a manual installation of SQBServerSetup will now allow you to select an instance, and also specify the service startup account and SQL authentication method (for new installations).

Likewise, the GUI will also allow you to specify the service startup user and SQL authentication method for new installations.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8