Options

Running SQLPackage.exe from a server.

Jon BlanchardJon Blanchard Posts: 8
edited February 4, 2006 8:32AM in SQL Packager Previous Versions
Hello:

Whenever I create an SQLPackage.exe file and store it in a server folder, I get security policy exceptions while attempting to use that file, from the server folder, to install the packaged database onto my workstation. The DBA tells me that the SQLPackager does not like to run from an UNC.

We will be including an SQLPackage.exe file in the next release of our new software product and I would like to ease the installation process for client-server setups with the above functionality.

Advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your response.
Jon Blanchard
The Rehab Documentation Company, LLC
Timestamp above is USA Central Time (GMT-6)

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello Jon,

Your admin's right. The .NET Framework which the SQL Package needs to run forbids the running of .NET managed code from a network share for security reasons. To date, I don't know of a way to get that working. If anybody else has any ideas, I'd be grateful to hear them!

To workaround, you could run the package from a batch file. Create a batch file that copies the package .exe (and any dlls) to the local disk (%TMP% is good if you're not certain what the system's boot disk is), then run the package and delete the file(s) from %TMP%.