Options

Data Generation hangs

facklecfacklec Posts: 7 New member
I'm trying to create a large database (50 gigs) for testing purposes. I can't seem to get one particular table to load. It will hang at 0%, 10% and now 100%. I think it depends on how many records I'm trying to generate. At 1.5 million it hangs at 0%. I let it run for 12 hours and it didn't seem to do anything. At 1000 rows it's hanging at 100%. At 100 it succeeds. There is a unique non-clustered index that I thought would help to drop but it's being used by other tables for foreign key constraints so I can not drop it. I've successfully generated a 5 gig database but I'm stuck trying to generate this larger one. BTW, "Cancelling" never works.

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

I think we may have to get back you by email on this one. Obviously data generation times depend on the types of generators and the database schema (maybe triggers are running during the update). Having the cancel button not responding is a bit worrying though.
  • Options
    sbendayansbendayan Posts: 18 Bronze 1
    Any resolution on this? I am having this problem right now, and only trying to generate 1,000 rows.
  • Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi,
    Would you please enable the verbose logging? Help menu ->logging ->Minimum logging log level ->set to Verbose (note the other options to locate the log files).

Repeat the data generation.

When you experience the performance error, locate the current log file and send it to support@red-gate.com for us to review.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com