Options

Feature Suggestions

appwrightappwright Posts: 62
edited October 3, 2006 12:49PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Here are a couple of feature suggestions for the SQL Backup 4:

1. Add column to Users and Process on the bottom where the SQL Backup progress is shown for % Compression and another column for CPU usage on that process would be nice.

2. Multithread the backup process. I have 350 DB's to backup, seems like it would be nice to be able to tell SQL Backup to do two at a a time instead of one at a time. I have plenty of processor power, so I would think that would speed it up a good deal.

3. Get the installer and product stable![/list]

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

I know this is an old post, but FYI -- you can get SQL Backup to use multiple threads by specifying multiple backup files (or in newer versions, you also have a THREADS argument at your disposal.
  • Options
    From what I remember in the older stuff. If you use multiple threads, it only works for database backups that are in more than one file. Will it actually run multiple DBs at the same time? If so, it doesn't seem that the TSQL code would run right anyway?

Do you have some sample T-SQL code to get this done?
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Oh I see now that your comment didn't really sink in and I was on automatic pilot again!

SQL Backup does allow you to run two simultaneous backups of different databases, but it involves issuing two distinctly different commands or creating two independent schedules, in the case of scheduled backups.