How to restore Studio 2010/2012 ANTS menu

rstewart27104rstewart27104 Posts: 5
edited November 18, 2014 7:45PM in ANTS Performance Profiler 8
I am using the .NET Developer Bundle which contains VS 2010/2012 integration.

I recently (today) installed the latest ReSharper, version 8. After installation and launching either VS2010 or VS2012, the .NET Reflector menu is present however the ANTS menu is gone...

My question is how can I quickly restore the ANTS menu without reinstalling the bundle? If reinstall is required, do I have to 'Deactivate the Serial Numbers' beforehand or is the installer smart enough to retain my license?

Comments

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi there, thanks for your post!

You may be able to avoid a reinstall if you open VS, go to Tools->options->add-in security, and (if it's missing) re-add a path to the "ANTS Profiler Visual Studio Add-in 1" there (the path should be c:\program files\red gate\ants profiler visual studio add-in 1\), and make sure that that folder has the RedGate.ANTSVsAddin.addin file and the RedGate.ANTSVsAddin.dll.

Should that not help though, please do try a reinstall of just the add-in-- your license should be retained :)

Hope that helps!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Everything under 'Tools->Options->Environment->Add-in/Macros Security' was present and matched what you described. The addin and dll files were also present in the given path.

I then reinstalled the add-in with no success. The ANTS menu is still missing in both VS2010 & VS2012.
  • BTW
    I do have an open ticket on the R# support site at ReSharper 8 removes another third party Studio menu
    Sorry to hear that didn't help! Could you please check if "allow add-in components to load" is enabled? You may also just need to delete the following registry key to reset the add-in's location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Red Gate\ANTS Profiler Visual Studio Add-in 1

(Also, thanks for logging the issue with the Resharper team!)

• Deleting the registry key worked. The menu was restored after the deleting the key and restarting VS2010/2012.

Suggestion:
    Your add-in should be more reactive when integrating with the menu. If its static location (which you store in the registry) is not found due to other 3rd party tools being installed/uninstalled, don't give up. Determine a new menu location and update the registry instead of giving up and not displaying a menu.
    That's great news :D

And many thanks for the feedback--I'll note it down.

• This problem still happens.
    I had a look at the registry key and the Left value's data contains the word "Deleted" with some symbols around the word.

I thought based on redgate taking feedback in previous post, you guys would have fixed it two years later :/

The workaround of deleting the whole key still fixes the problem.