v2.1.4.2 - Step names cut off in variables list!

mwoffendenmwoffenden Posts: 98
edited July 29, 2013 10:10AM in Deployment Manager
Not sure what happened, but in the latest release I can only see the first 6 characters of my step name. Seems like the Step column has a fixed width.

See image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6mymy8l7bv4sumt/2013-07-23%2009_18_10-Variables.jpg

Most people would not be defining step names of 6 characters!!

Would someone please take a look at this, and consider making the Step column fluid (having NO fixed width)?
Michael Woffenden
Founder and President
Information Results Corporation

Comments

• James BJames B Posts: 1,124 Silver 4
    Thanks for spotting this - I'm seeing the same thing myself, so I've raised this with the DM team
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• Just wondering if there is any movement on this?
    Michael Woffenden
    Founder and President
    I've checked with the team and unfortunately this probably isn't going to change in the short term.

It was felt better to prioritise the width of the other columns as the step number is the primary piece of information in the column most users would need to see, and is always visible.

If you click the dropdown the full text should be shown, if you do need to verify the full name of the step.

Redgate Software

• Thanks for your note, James. On behalf of your customer community, however, doing nothing is not an acceptable solution.

The reality is that most users have high-resolution widescreens so there is plenty of screen real estate.

The variables snapshot table had major issues and was (thankfully) fixed. Why not apply the same fix here?
    Michael Woffenden
    Founder and President
    I don't think they are saying it'll never get changed; just that it's not top of the pile right now.

Of course if other users also mention it's important, then this may get reviewed.

Redgate Software

• if other users also mention it's important, then this may get reviewed.
    There are some basic fixes that on principle should be implemented. The principle being that data should not be hidden from the user. In this case the appropriate fix has already been shown to work in other areas of DM.

I appreciate the great progress has been already made in other areas of the UI thus far, particularly regarding the variable snapshot, which is now finally in a usable state. In many cases a relatively minor fix can really be a big win for end users. I'll leave my comments at that and maybe others can chime in.
    Michael Woffenden
    Founder and President