SQL Packager with multiple Database updates

aperregatturvaperregatturv Posts: 67
edited January 31, 2006 5:49AM in SQL Packager Previous Versions
Hi

I recently bought SQL Packager 4 and the main purpose of buying this are,

We need to update several different version of our product. We have around 4-5 different versions of Software with databases(ALL SQL Servers). for example
Product Version 1 - DB version 121
Product Version 2 - DB version 135 and so on.

Now, when we release the next version of our software we need to update existing product versions to the latest. I tried your upgrade existing but all i see is it can only update 1 database version per executable. How do i create a executable which can detect each version and update them.

I hope i made it clear what i am trying to achieve. Right now, we use several SQL scripts to do this.

Let me know.

Thanks
Arun

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello Arun,

The upgrade packages that the software produces are static and there can't be any logic inside that can deterministically run different bits of script depending on the current version information. What you'd most likely need to do is to create several packages -- one for each stage of the upgrade -- and determine which files need to be run from outside of the package, such as by using a command or VBScript.
  • Brian Donahue,

Thanks for your reply. I think I will create executables for each version and execute them my win application which can detect the version of each database. I think i can live that.

Thanks for the info again.

I got a suggestion, when using the .NET executable, it does not provide where the database should be created(database path). if I want that to be created for example in
    C:\Program files\Application Folder\Database
    but I am executing this .NET executable from C:\Program Files\Application Folder\Tools

Let me know.

Thanks
    Arun
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

You can set the database file locations by clicking the 'advanced' button when manually running a package. If you set these when you create the package, they should be enforced when you run the package from the command line with the makedatabase switch.
This discussion has been closed.