Options

How to profile a single assemlby?

k.oosterhuisk.oosterhuis Posts: 3
edited July 5, 2013 2:44PM in ANTS Performance Profiler 8
We have a program running slower as times goes.

We want to profile from the start and profile for the next 12 hours.
This creates to large log files and runs very slow.

We know in which assembly the problem is.

Ant Profile 3 had a nice option where you could select which assembly it need to profile only.
http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/c ... t_assembly
But I can't find this option any more in version 7 or 8.
Where is it hidden?

Attaching after 6 hours to a running process doesn't give is enough info.

Comments

• Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hello and thank you for your post!

There isn't an option in version 7 or 8 of the profiler to profile a single assembly, I'm afraid.

You might be interested in the "Show only" feature, where you can right-click on a method in the call tree and choose to only show methods from a particular namespace.

However, in this case, you might just want to temporarily remove all pdb files from your directory except the pdb file for the one assembly you're interested in profiling. Then if you profile again for "only methods with source", that assembly will come up as the only one with source.

Hope that helps!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Options
    The "Show only" is indead not an option. The profile file is way way to big. And sadly the profiler (GUI) uses only 1 cpu out of the 8 to scan through it. So when changing a timeslot/option then you have to wait for minutes. Not working that way.

Removing the pdb's is not an option because for the assembly causing is performance problems we don't have the pdb.

The version 3 had to correct option. I hope it returns.
  • Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    I've created a feature request to bring this option back (with reference PP-3346)--many thanks for the suggestion!

One possible workaround for now.. use the .NET Reflector VS Extension to create a pdb file for the assembly (if it's a third party library you will want to first make sure you are not violating any license terms). You can then go ahead with profiling"only methods with source" which should lessen the overhead. I hope that might help!

(for more info on .NET Reflector and/or to download a free trial, kindly see here: http://www.red-gate.com/products/dotnet ... reflector/ )

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?