Options

Job Failed alert is not raised for some jobs that fail

MattMatt Posts: 4 Bronze 2
edited June 27, 2013 11:44AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
I've noticed that some jobs don't raise an alert when they fail. I suspect it has to do with whether or what sort of error code is returned, but so far I've been unable to find the difference between jobs failures that raise the alert and ones that don't.

Here are two examples of recent job failures that didn't raise an alert:
1) transaction log backup failed because it was missing a full backup.
2) DBCC CHECKDB reporting consistency errors for a database.

I've verified that run_status = 0 in sysjobhistory, and that the job step is configured to "quit the job reporting failure" when the step fails. Both jobs are part of Maintenance Plans, but failures of those types of jobs have raised the alert before.

So I really have a two-part question.

First, why aren't these job failures triggering the "job failed" alert? i.e. what's different about them?

Second, and more importantly, how can I get alerts on them in the future? I really do want to know when log backup fail or I have consistency/corruption issues with databases. Basically, if I see a "red X" icon in the job history via SSMS, I think I'd like to get an alert via SQL Monitor.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Hi Matt,

SQL Monitor should notify you for all jobs which had run_status of anything other than 1.

The only issue I can think of is that we had a bug with job failure alert pre v3.4 release where it wouldn't notify of some job failures. The description of the bug can be found in release notes against bug number SRP-8159.

If you are experiencing this issue in v3.4 or later then I would suggested to raise a support request at support@red-gate.com so that we could investigate it.

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4 Bronze 2
    Hi Priya,

That bug-fix looks like it applies to at least one of the failed jobs, so I'll go ahead and upgrade to 3.4. If I'm still having issues with the other job after that, I'll escalate to support.

Thanks for your help.