The profiler did not find any methods with source code

tom103tom103 Posts: 11
edited August 8, 2013 8:12AM in ANTS Performance Profiler 8
I'm trying to profile a Windows Store application, but ANTS Performance profiler only shows methods named "<Unknown>.<Unknown>()".

I've seen this page, but all it says about Windows Store apps is this:
Profiling Windows Store Applications with trivial methods

When profiling Windows Store Applications, some methods may not appear in profiling results because ANTS Performance Profiler ignores trivial methods for Windows Store Applications.

A method is trivial if it is smaller than 192 bytes of IL, doesn't contain any branches or loops, and doesn't contain any calls to other methods.

But it doesn't help, because the methods I'm trying to debug are not trivial...

xOH5T8Y.png

How can I fix it?

(btw, my app is compiled as Debug, and the pdb files are present in the executable folder ; I'm starting the profiler by using the "Profile Performance" command in the ANTS menu of Visual Studio)

Comments

• James BJames B Posts: 1,124 Silver 4
    What happens if you run the profiler and then profile your app by picking the Windows Store option on the startup screen- any different?
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• Hi James, thanks for your reply.

It doesn't seem to change anything, I get the same results as before.
    Ok - it seems that seeing <Unknown>.<unknown> has cropped up intermittently before- we have a bug ref. PP-1710 for it, but there's no indication of cause on there. I'll follow up with the APP team to see if I can find out more...

Redgate Software

Out of interest, what kind of spec is the machine you're running on? It sounds like the problem is more likely to manifest itself on lower-specification machines.

Redgate Software

• Out of interest, what kind of spec is the machine you're running on? It sounds like the problem is more likely to manifest itself on lower-specification machines.

Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
    Intel Core i7 2600 3.4GHz
    8GB RAM
    Hmm, that doesn't sound too shoddy...

Redgate Software

Is there any possibility we'll be able to obtain a copy of your code (or if that's not possible, at least the executables) so we can investigate further? So far, this problem hasn't been reliably reproducible in-house.

Redgate Software

• Is there any possibility we'll be able to obtain a copy of your code (or if that's not possible, at least the executables) so we can investigate further? So far, this problem hasn't been reliably reproducible in-house.

I can't send you the code of this specific application because it belongs to my company, but I can reproduce the issue with any Windows Store app...

This project has the problem; I created it from the Grid App (XAML) template and didn't change anything in it.
    Thanks- we'll take a look. Interesting you say any Store app does it, as we've tested various ones here without problem; so it may still prove to be environmental rather than application specific. I'll post back when I have an update.

Redgate Software

• I am also facing same issue, Let me know if there is any solution or work around.