Options

Run out of diskspace in SQL Data compare SDK

PhilnPhiln Posts: 11
Hi,
Is there an option to set in the SQL Data Compare API to place the temp files into a different path instead of the C:\ drive?
I am comparing a large databases with many tables and the default temp files are in C drive which I don't have much empty space.
Thanks
philn

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Phil,
    It's not a method explicitly in the API but what you can do is set the "RGTEMP" environment variable value to the name of a folder on a different drive with lots of free disk space. In .NET, you can use the System.Environment object and add the RGTEMP variable to your own process. That should do the trick!
  • Options
    Hi Brian,
    thanks for replying. I tried your suggestion, but it seems doesn't do anything - Not sure what I am missing.
    I put Env variable (RGTEMP) in both user variable and System Variable and the api still doesn't recognize it.
    philn
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    If you're setting it in code you probably want to set it in the process, otherwise you have to restart the process to get the variable read in, which won't do you much good.
    Environment.SetEnvironmentVariable("RGTEMP", "d:\\temp", EnvironmentVariableTarget.Process);

• Options
    I got it!, I restarted my machine, Doh!, it's work now.
    Thanks Brian.
    philn