Options

Command line automation does not sync extended properties

ZHCSZHCS Posts: 5
edited June 12, 2013 11:17AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
We are using SQLCompare.exe for automated deployment of our databases. We realized that the deployment script created by sqlcompare.exe doesnt not synchronize extended properties of the databases. When i try to create the deployment script from SQL Compare GUI, the resulting script does include part synchronizing the extended properties. The options in GUI and for command line set up in identical way. We are not using Ignore extended properties option. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    James BJames B Posts: 1,124 Silver 4
    Thanks for your post.

Based on an initial test here, DB level extended properties should get scripted OK, so I need to check a few things:

- are these extended properties the ones that SQL Source Control adds, or your own ones?
    - are you running the command line with the same credentials as when you tried it through the GUI?
    - what version of SQL Compare are you on?
    - what *exact* command line are you running? Can you post an example? For instance I was able to script the differences in extended properties with pretty much no options:
    sqlcompare.exe /db1:database1 /db2:database2 /sf:d:\sync.sql

Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• Options
    Hi,

Many thanks for your response.

- these are the extended properties which SQL Source Control adds
    - No, i am running the command line with different credentials. What permissions would i need to be able to synchronize the extended properties?
    - we have SQL Compare 10
    - /scr1:"%system.teamcity.build.checkoutDir%" /revision1:HEAD /server2:XXXXX /db2:XXXXX /Include:identical /o:Default /Report:XXXXX /ReportType:Simple /ScriptFile:XXXXX /Force /logLevel:Verbose /sync
  • Options
    DB level extended properties require DB Owner permission, so I'd check that first.

There's a Compare option to ignore the Source Control properties, but this is not set by default and you don't seem to be specifying it as far as I can tell.

Redgate Software

• Options
    Hi James,

I am sorry for getting back to you so late on this subject but unfortunately we didnt make any progress on this.

I found out that we are running the command line with credentials which have DB owner permissions

I have SQL Compare version 10.2.6.114. One of my collegues has the same version, the same settings and the same permissions but when he creates the scripts he doesnt have also these extended properties scripted!

Another collegue has higher version, the same setting but still dont get the extended properties!

Any ideas?
  • Options
    Ah, I wonder if the problem here is because you're working with script folders. I don't /think/ these have the extended properties in.

Redgate Software

• Options
    Thanks James!

Looks like this is exactly the issue we are having.
  • Options
    Ah yes,

As far as I know, this is by design unfortunately.

Redgate Software