A couple of suggestions

aaron.bertrandaaron.bertrand Posts: 24
edited January 31, 2006 11:35AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
(a) in the server drop-down list, don't just rely on the local network poll, but also include servers I have compared before. You may even consider kind of like a favorites list. You should be able to accomplish this with simple MRU list functionality?

(b) in the object filters, or in options, allow me to specify filters like I can in Profiler, e.g. where name NOT LIKE 'NQL%'

Comments

• I agree, both of Aaron's suggestions would be very useful.

a) The list could have the last 5-10 servers and then below that the rest of the servers from the network poll.

b) Great idea, to make selecting, deselecting objects to synchronise easier/more flexible. Especially useful if you have a naming convention that uses common codes or prefixes in your object names.

Another couple of suggestions:

c) The ability to select the dependent objects, (right click maybe) of an object that you have just selected. Also to be able to filter the list to the objects that are selected only.

d) I also suggested a drop down list in the toolbar to allow you to save common filters and options.
    So you could have a user definable set of common filters.
    e.g. My list might include.
    All Objects except users and roles - no permissions
    All interface objects
    Tables and Views - ignore collation

This would make choosing different filter combinations alot easier

Cheers,

Alex
    Alex Weatherall
    TeleWare.com
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Thanks for the suggestions. Just so you're aware, the workaround is to use the Client Network Utility, if you have SQL Client-Side Tools installed on the computer, to create a server alias. If you create an alias to a server that's not on your local network, it should still appear in SQL Compare.

Alternatively you can put an entry for the remote SQL Server in your hosts file. SQL Compare's detection uses DNS and that should include running a discovery on the servers in your hosts file, too!
This discussion has been closed.