Where In the SQL Monitor Is My Data From The Last Server?

EdCardenEdCarden Posts: 134 Silver 1
We recently switched out our primary DB server for a new one and that of course meant changing in SQL Monitor the name/instance of the SQL Server we are monitoring. That’s worked fine with the exception that it looks like as if ALL info captured from the previously monitored SQL Server is no longer available.

When I go to any of the ANALYSIS items and select a period that is prior to the changeover in servers I cannot retrieve any data on any item that was captured under the prior DB server. Why is that? I'm not trying to monitor it I'm simply trying to look at already captured data.

I can see where the assumption (during development) may have been why does anyone want to look at any historical data captured by SQL Monitor. That’s the only thing I can think of unless this is just a known and as of yet not addressed bug in the program.

Is this a bug, a bad design choice or a surprise? Or do I have it all wrong and I can get at this data if I just do X?

Thanks

Comments

• SQL Monitor does not track sql server renames. The assumption for this is that it would be a very rare event which could also involve fundamental changes (e.g. upgrade from 2005 to 2008R2) which would make that historical data irrelevant. Also the data repository is not designed to hold huge amounts of historical data, as this would cause the database to grow exponentially (amongst other issues).

But if you still think this could be useful, please post on the SQL Monitor UserVoice forum. The development team can then possibly consider some changes for the future.
    https://sqlmonitor.uservoice.com/forums ... uggestions
  • EdCardenEdCarden Posts: 134 Silver 1
    chriskelly wrote:
    SQL Monitor does not track sql server renames. The assumption for this is that it would be a very rare event which could also involve fundamental changes (e.g. upgrade from 2005 to 2008R2) which would make that historical data irrelevant. Also the data repository is not designed to hold huge amounts of historical data, as this would cause the database to grow exponentially (amongst other issues).

But if you still think this could be useful, please post on the SQL Monitor UserVoice forum. The development team can then possibly consider some changes for the future.
    https://sqlmonitor.uservoice.com/forums ... uggestions

1) This idea that the historical data captured by SQL Monitor is of no use is costing Red-Gate in lost sales. Theres so much you could do with that data and yet you toss it away like as if it were trash. What a shame. This kind of presumption with software by IBM helped launch Microsoft to its throne of power in the technology world. In an age of data sharing where knowledge is considered power, why would any software vendor toss information aside?

2) While not purging the historical data can cause the DB to grow it doesn't have to be such gorwth that its unmanagable. In our case we have not seen any serious growth of our SQL Monitor DB and we've never purged the data since w started capturing about 2 years ago.

3) I will definately add this to the SQL Monitor suggestions/features list

Thanks
  • I just wanted to clarify the behaviour after some testing. If you use the Back-in-time function of the tool, then it will display the removed entities and associated data in the various Overviews (assuming you have navigated to a time when it was being monitoring).